Thursday, April 10, 2008

My first ever Aikido class

Yesterday I started my first ever martial art class (Aikido if you are interested to know). It's unbelievable, I mean to myself. I never really join any sport for long term in my whole life until yesterday, because I am just not good in any. The only sport that I have been involved is badminton (once in a blue moon only la), ok I admit I can only averagely catch the shuttlecock five times out of ten. But at least when people ask me what sport I play, I still have something to say. Other than that, none.

But this time, Aikido.

I read an advice somewhere, "Do one thing every day that scares you", and yeap I buy this advice so joining the martial art class would be the "one thing". Thanks to the lady friend that asked me to join the class, otherwise it will never come across my mind to join martial art class.

I actually sat in the class as a polite observer once, and it didn't cause me much struggle to decide joining the class because I think it is useful in defending oneself. Oh plus the Sensei (teacher) is just so amazing with his Aikido skill. His movement is graceful but full of hidden energy and you can imagine it will really cause severe harm to his opponent. I think he's practicing an art, anyway this is a martial art.

So now talk about my experience in the class, hmm, as a first timer I did it badly. At first I thought it would be easy (yea it's easy when you are just observing at the back of the class), but when I jumped onto the mat and started my first "back fall" training I realized that I would have a long long way to go. My arms and legs they just refused to coordinate in the way I wanted them to. It was so stupid to stand there and fighting with your arms and legs to instruct them go to their suppose-to-go position for a proper back fall, hahaha. Did I forget to mention? I actually get my dear housemate to join Aikido class as well (she joined by force, tada... and the evil is me). It's actually more comforting when you have a partner whom also a new starter, because you will soon realize that it's not so idiotic to have posed some silly postures or do some out-of-mind actions. :P

Generally speaking, the Senpai (senior) were quite friendly and nice and respectful (though I believe quite a number of them maybe younger than me, anyway I am an over aged trainee hehe). A young and pretty senior led our (newcomers) training patiently, not forgetting a handsome senior who sat behind the class always paid attention to our wrong gestures and postures and then gave guidance to us.

That's it, my first martial art class experience. I think I am looking forward to the future class, and I hope I can get myself in long enough to really learn something to make myself skillful. Let's see if I can make it... :)

(p/s: please bear with my poor grammar and vocab, too lazy to type the story in Mandarin today as I am having backache after the training haha)

No comments: